Saturday, April 22, 2017

Faith and the Faithfulness of God

Some of you may know that Hebrews 11 is often called “The Hall of Faith.” However, I would suggest that it be called “The Hall of the Faithfulness of God.” In the beginning of the chapter it does say that the people mentioned there received a testimony, and that testimony surely comes from God himself. But we must understand that God’s testimony goes something like this:

“Abraham looked to me, he trusted in my purposes, promises, and plans, and he found me to be faithful. So look to Abraham and imitate his faith in me. Sarah looked to me, she trusted in my purposes, promises, and plans, and she found me to be faithful. So look to Sarah and imitate her faith in me. Moses looked to me, he trusted in my purposes, promises, and plans, and he found me to be faithful. So look to Moses and imitate his faith in me. Rahab looked to me, she trusted in my purposes, promises, and plans, and she found me to be faithful. So look to Rahab and imitate her faith in me.”

From beginning to end, Hebrews 11 is about the faithfulness of God and therefore in the beginning of chapter 12 the author turns toward his beloved readers and says:

“It’s your turn—run your race by faith in the faithfulness of God. I know the race is hard. I know that you’re weary. I know that you’re drifting from Christ and that part of you wants to give up. But look to God, trust in God, hope in God, and press on! Know that those who’ve gone before you suffered as well, and some of them greatly so, but they believed and persevered and now their joy is very great. 

"So, my precious readers, rise up and run your race by putting all your faith in the faithfulness of Christ! Life is about who he is not who you are. Life is about what he’s done not what you will do. Life is about what he’s promised to accomplish for you not what you’ve resolved to do for him. He’s your rock, your hope, your joy, your stability, your security and safety, your strength, your very life. So fix your eyes and minds and hearts on Christ and keep on running your race!”

Beloved, let’s heed this God-given, sage advice and fix our eyes on Christ both today and forevermore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment