Tuesday, March 08, 2016

The Beginning of the End - Day One

As I mentioned in my post Sunday afternoon, I'm at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (TEDS) this week going through a week-long workshop designed to commence the final phase of my Doctor of Ministry degree. Since it's my last full-week here, I've been trying to take note of everything, to see and remember what the Lord is doing, and I saw so much yesterday that it's hard to take in and process in such a brief time!

Having said that, two things stood out. At the beginning of every week-long very session at TEDS, the staff has brand new students stand and say a few words and they have finishing students stand and say a few words. This week, ten of us were finishing and the one word that stuck out to me from all that was said was "remember." The man who shared this word mentioned Deuteronomy 32:7, "Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, your elders, and they will tell you." So, in short, I'm trying as best as I can to notice and remember the big things this week; to see and honor what the Lord has done and is doing. 

Second, Dr. Martin Crain, the current Director of the program who is retiring after nineteen years in this position, shared a devotional from Ephesians 5:13-21 and highlighted the theme of wisdom. He noted: (1) Wisdom engages all of life with the light of Christ; (2) Wisdom takes opportunities; it seeks the Lord and seizes the moment; and (3) Wisdom maintains priorities, and always puts this first--"be filled with the Holy Spirit." 

It was a real privilege to hear Dr. Crain's final, formal message to the students, and it was fuel on the fire for some things Jesus is doing in my life right now. 

The class session was great, although I'll leave the details aside, after which several of us went out to dinner and talked theology, sought to share the gospel with a few people, and just enjoyed each other's company. I got in late feeling very tired and overjoyed in the Lord, and so I awake today eager to seek and serve Jesus, learn from my class session, and then visit a friend in inner-city Chicago tonight. 

For now, would you please continue in prayer for my family and me? It really means a lot, so thanks in advance! 

No comments:

Post a Comment