Friday, January 01, 2016

What is Your Passion for 2016?

I don't make New Year's Resolutions but I do take time at the end of the year to reflect on the previous year, clarify my passions and priorities for the coming year, and plan accordingly. For me, I reflect on the following areas of my life: 

1. My personal pursuit of Jesus including Bible reading and memory, prayer and worship, and devotional reading like Andrew Murray's With Christ in the School of Prayer. 

2. My family life including marriage, parenting, the stewardship of our home life (finances, chores, etc.), leisure and vacations. 

3. My exercise and diet including a specific athletic goal, a workable training plan, and a dietary plan that is both exciting and sustainable. 

4. My work life including present priorities and obligations, and ideal priorities and obligations. 

As I prayerfully reflect on these things and gain clarity about them, I then sketch out plans for how I will pursue them throughout the year. I also calendar one half-day per quarter to reflect on how things are going and where I need to make adjustments. When my plan for the year is set, I show it to the appropriate people for prayer and accountability, and from there it's all about daily prayer, discipline, and flexibility. 

Perhaps my approach to annual visioning is helpful to you, perhaps it is not. One way or the other, I would urge you to hear and head this counsel from the Apostle Paul - "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:15-16). 

No comments:

Post a Comment