Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Returning from Sabbatical Today

Old Town Elk River, Minnesota
Today I return from my three-month sabbatical, and I’m both eager to enter into what the Lord has for me in the coming season of life and a little concerned about re-engaging too quickly. All the research I’ve read about sabbaticals says that if you re-engage too quickly afterwards you can reverse the benefits of it in a heartbeat.

So the plan is to set a reasonable pace and keep it! Please pray for me in this respect.

I haven’t blogged in quite a while because I was very busy over the last part of my sabbatical with a doctoral course entitled “Fresh Directions in Biblical Preaching” and finishing up my book entitled Living by Father: Meditations on the Letter to the Hebrews. Both the class and the book were a real joy. I’ll write more about this later, but both fed my soul and helped me to envision the future that the Lord has for me, especially with regard to preaching, teaching, and writing ministry.

But for now the plan is to seek the Lord, spend as much time with people as possible, and carefully pick up this and that task again.

The one thing that makes me somewhat sad is that the end of the sabbatical means that I will not be able to spend as much time with my Kimmy, and with Rachel. We’ve had a wonderful summer together, the Lord has blessed us in many ways. We’re happy to re-engage life, me at GCF and Kim at teaching (she starts tomorrow, we think), and Rachel at her daycare. But we’re grieving just a little.

Thanks again, everyone for praying for us. I look forward to checking in with many of you soon, but I’ll need some grace to set a pace that works for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment