Thursday, June 25, 2015

Update on My Sabbatical

Along the Saint Croix, Taken from our Canoe
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve updated everyone on my sabbatical simply because I was first returning from three weeks of camping, and then because I was working on a monster doctoral project. And once that was done, I spent a lot of time with Kimmy and Rachel, and frankly, writing this blog just didn’t seem so important. But it is important to me, and at least to a few of you, so let me give you a quick snap shot of how things are going.

My times with the Lord have been good but not long enough. This week and next I have a lot more time on my hands, however, so I plan to spend longer and more focused times with him. You can pray for me in this regard. I’ve really been enjoying the Lord’s help and presence in a number of ways, but again, I long to spend long times with him.

My primary labor has been on a doctoral project entitled, “Teaching Christ-Centered Preaching in North India.” One week I read five books from cover to cover for this project along with a number of papers and web-based resources. It was a lot of work, but very informative and productive. As part of the project I designed a 40-hour course entitled “Preaching Christ from All of Scripture” which I hope to teach in India next year and which I can teach in the States as well.

That’s behind me now and I’m focused on my next course coming up in late July entitled “Fresh Directions in Biblical Preaching.” I’ve already read two books for that course, Choosing to Preach and Deep Preaching, and I have another five books to go. But that’s no big deal, I usually read a book a week and while on sabbatical it’s easy to read two per week.

As far as my work on Hebrews, I’ve had to suspend that while I worked on my doctoral material but I plan to get back to that on Saturday. Kimmy and I, thanks to the grace of Craig and Jeralyn Prange, are spending some time in a State Park this week and really enjoying our time here. We went for a ten mile canoe trip yesterday on the Saint Croix and it was so fun! Oh, and the Prange girls made us these awesome “volcano brownies” that we’ve been enjoying all week. We have one more full day here, and then another half day, and then we’ll be home for a bit before going to Chicago for my doctoral class (we’re hoping Kim can join me that week).

So here’s how you can pray for us right now:

1. Please pray that the Lord will grant us sweet times with him in the Word and prayer. We want so much to know and love him.

2. Please pray for our times together as a couple, and with Rachel, they’ve been sweet and we want them to get sweeter and sweeter.

3. Please pray for my preparation for my next doctoral course. I read one of my professor’s books and he advocates things that I have been working against for the last twelve years, but I need to maintain a humble and open heart leaving the Lord to judge him and his work.

4. Please pray for my work on Hebrews. It’s been so fulfilling, so awe-inspiring, and I look forward to seeing more of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

5. Please pray for my coming bike rides. My time on the bike is sacred to me, the Lord always blesses my times with him there, so again please pray that he’ll meet me out on the road.


Blessings to you all, thanks for praying, God be with you. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the updates, Pastor Charlie. We enjoy hearing about your journey since you have been away. Please know that Jack and I are praying for you, Kim, and Rachel. 😊

    ReplyDelete