Friday, May 08, 2015

Prayer and Desire

This afternoon I paused from my work for a few moments to breathe, pray and fix my eyes on Jesus Christ. To help me do that, I read a brief devotional from Andrew Murray that so moved me that I decided to reproduce it on my blog. It's not long, and I encourage you to read the whole thing. When you're done, perhaps you too can take a few minutes to breathe, pray and fix your eyes on Christ. Perhaps you too can ask Jesus to guide and magnify your desire so that you will pray in a way that's pleasing to him. May the Lord add his blessing to Mr. Murray's words. 

"Desire is the power that moves our whole world and directs the course of each person. Desire is the soul of prayer. The cause of insufficient prayer is often the lack of desire. Some may doubt this. They are sure that they have earnestly desired what they have asked. But if they judge whether their desire has been as wholehearted as God would have it, they may see that it was the lack of desire that caused the failure. 

"What is true of God is true of each of his blessings. 'If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me' (Jeremiah 29:13). We may have a strong desire for spiritual blessings. But alongside them are other desires occupying a large place in our interests. The spiritual desires are not all-absorbing. We are puzzled that our prayer is not heard. It is because God wants the whole heart. If there are desires which occupy more of our heart than He Himself, the desires that we are praying for cannot be granted. 

"We desire the gift of intercession, grace and power to pray as we should. Our hearts must give up other desires; we must give ourselves wholly to this one. By focusing on the blessedness of this grace, by believing with certainty that God will give it to us, desire may be strengthened. The first step will have been taken toward the possession of the desired blessing." 

No comments:

Post a Comment