Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Duluth and Back or Bust! - An Update

This summer I plan to take a one-day bike ride from Otsego to Duluth (150 miles), rest for 1-2 days depending on how I feel, and then ride back home in one day. So yeah, 300 miles in two days of riding, a little crazy but it's a ride I've been wanting to take for several years. 

To get myself ready for the ride, I've been taking a few shorter, intense rides each week, and one longer, endurance ride. The longer rides started at 25 miles and have increased by 5 miles each week. I've taken six of them so far and am now ready for the 55 mile ride. 

The plan for this week is to saddle up with my friends Craig Prange, Kevin Gjertsen, and Jim Steiner, and ride from my house in Otsego to downtown Saint Paul. This ride is about 57 miles and begins with an 11 mile section on the road, followed by one bike trail after another. Between the first bike trail (Elk Creek Park) and downtown, we'll only be off bike trails for about 2 miles or so. It's possible to be off the trails for only 1 mile, but this would require us to ride on a dangerous section of highway for about a half-mile and I'd prefer to come home alive! 

My ride last week went very well, and I feel good and recovered from it. So I'm really looking forward to the big ride this week, and to spending some time with my pals. For now it's Saint Paul or Bust!, but in no time it'll be Duluth and Back or Bust! I can hardly wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment