Friday, January 09, 2015

Exercise and Worship

After months of difficulties and laziness, I’ve finally been going to the gym on a regular basis again. And it feels so good! I especially love the elliptical machine, but then again I enjoy lifting weights and walking and preparing again for a 5k or 10k this year. 

Some people make an idol of exercise and health, and I surely don’t want to go that far. But I do want to give glory to Christ by caring for this body that he’s given to me. In any case, we should want to steward well what God has entrusted into our care, but since my father died when he was only 51 (three years older than I am now), and since both his parents died of heart attacks, and since my mother had a heart attack in her 30s, and since two of my siblings have had serious heart surgery—well then, I probably should be serious about caring for my body, and particularly my heart. 

In addition to the issue of stewardship, there is the issue of joy. The better shape I’m in, the more I can enjoy my bike in the spring, and when it comes to exercise I have no joy like being on my bike. So I’m exercising with all my might to the glory of Christ, and I’m storing up joy for the spring and summer when I’ll hopefully be able to ride that much faster and farther. 

As I said, exercise is for some false worship, but it doesn’t have to be. “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of Christ” (1 Corinthians 10:31). Amen, may we learn to exercise to the glory of Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment