Several years ago, Josh Reeves, Pastor of Redeemer Church in Round Rock, Texas, developed a resource entitled, “100 Practical Ways to Engage your Neighborhood.” The idea behind this resource is to help Christians add gospel intentionality to everyday life, to help lovers of Christ live as missionaries in their own neighborhoods.
Several weeks ago I began the process of posting these ideas 10 at a time. Not every idea will work for everyone, but please pray over each list and ask the Lord to help you identify one thing you can do each week. And if none of the ideas on a given section of the list works for you, then let it inspire you to think of something else. Whatever the case may be, ask Jesus to enable and empower you to join him in the joy-producing, God-exalting quest of seeking and saving the lost in our neighborhoods.
Here’s the fifth part of the list:
Neighbors – Your Immediate Neighborhood (continued)
41. Start a sewing group
42. Go Christmas caroling in your neighborhood (invite neighbors to join in)
43. Throw a Fourth of July block party
44. Start a neighborhood Facebook/Twitter/Google + group
45. Ask longtime residents to help you learn about the neighborhood
46. Offer to babysit neighbor’s kids so they can have a date night
47. Find out your neighbors’ birthdays and take them cards and baked goods when they come
48. Setup a meet your neighbors night with drinks in your driveway/front yard
49. Ask your HOA or apartment complex if they need help with anything
50. Host a regular Saturday morning breakfast potluck
Lord Jesus, please give us hearts to join in your great quest to seek and save the lost, and please give us the power to do whatever you call us to do. In your great and gracious name we pray, amen.