Saturday, November 17, 2012

God Has Provided: Glory Be to His Great Name!

Only eight days ago I wrote about our car situation: our good car is without an engine, and our not so good car lost a lower ball joint and axle while Kim and I were driving the other night. Aside from the details of the situation, I told you that Kim and I were at peace because we knew that God, our gracious Father, would provide in his time and way, and today I want to write briefly and tell you how he did just that. 

First, we continue to be grateful to the Lord for sparing us great injury or worse the other night, because when the ball joint and axle broke we were only going about 25 mph rather than the 60-70 mph I had just been doing on the freeway. Oh praise be to the Lord, he is great and gracious and we're so thankful for his protecting power. 

Second, the night this happened, I wrote our mechanic friend--the one who had replaced my front axles a couple months ago--to tell him about the situation. At that time, I thought our new axle failed, so I asked him what he thought we should do. He lives in Woodbury, MN, about a 45-50 minute drive from our house, but "it just so happened" that he was heading up north the very next day and would be traveling through our city--hmm, almost like God set this up! What grace from a God who controls time, dates, and circumstances! When George looked at the car, he immediately figured out what happened: our lower ball joint had given way which caused the right front tire to come down upon our axle with such force that it snapped the transmission side of it, but praise be to God, it didn't do any damage to the transmission itself! Within two minutes, George said, "Yep, I'll buy this and this, and we'll fix it up in no time." 

Third, after returning from his time up north, George said that he could come over this morning to do the repair, which he did. By the grace of God, he completed the work in about 2.5 hours, after which I took him  to lunch. But when I asked how much I owed him for the parts, gas, and time, he wouldn't let me give him a dime. It was his joy, he told me, to give us this gift and as he walked toward his care to leave he said, "Here's how you can pay me: give all the glory to God," which is when I decided to write this blog post! 

So thanks be to George, and glory be to God! 

Fourth, Kim and I are tight on money right now, but George didn't know that. We had the funds to pay him,  and we would have gladly done it, but it's a great blessing to be able to use those funds for other things. So the point is that our friend met a need without knowing the fullness of what he was doing, while the Lord our God knew exactly what he was doing--he was providing for us according to his great and precious promises! 

So again, thanks be to George, and glory be to God! 

What a joy to live a life of faith in Jesus who loved us and gave himself for us, to trust in our Father, who does all things well, and provides for our needs, in his time and way, according to his riches in Christ Jesus. Honestly, after all these years, I can't imagine living another way. 

So let me encourage you just for a moment: if you have any financial needs right now, I can't promise you that God will give you what you want, but I can promise you that he will give you what you need as you look to him in faith. And what you need may be more than the material things you're seeking, what you need may be the more important things of life like faith, hope, love, patience, perseverance, compassion, etc. So as a fellow traveler in this life, let me  encourage you to fix your eyes on Christ and trust in his promise to provide. 

God has provided: glory be to his great name! 

No comments:

Post a Comment