Thursday, February 02, 2012

Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret


I love the way God works. He’s such a kind and benevolent Father.
The week before Sarah Weber left Minnesota to serve Jesus Christ at Beracha House in India, she mentioned that she had been reading a book entitled Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret. Each day I read a chapter or part of a chapter of a devotional book as part of my personal quite time. I was just about to the end of the book I was reading and had already been praying about what I should read next. I thought about buying the book Sarah mentioned but given the pile of unread books on my shelf I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. “That’s not good stewardship,” I thought. “If the Lord wills, I’ll read that book in due time.”
A couple days later, I finished the book I was reading and then walked over to my bookshelf to decide what would come next. Starting from the right, I prayerfully scanned each volume, making a mental list along the way, and what do you know, there it was: a brand new copy of Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret (Littleton, CO: OMF International, 2010). I must have picked it up at a Bethlehem event or something, but whatever the case may be, I knew it was the book our Father would have me read.
Although I had already finished my quiet time for the day, I couldn’t wait until the next, so I excitedly sat on the couch and read every word of the Table of Contents, the Foreword, and the first chapter which is only two pages long. And that’s all I it took for me to find the answer to the question, What is Hudson Taylor’s spiritual secret?
“What was the secret of such a life? Hudson Taylor had many secrets, for he was always in communion with God, yet it came down to one—the simple, profound secret of drawing for every need upon the ‘fathomless wealth of Christ’” (8).
Hudson Taylor’s spiritual secret is not to be found in him but in Christ. As he faithfully sought his Savior, Jesus conceived the ministry in his heart and birthed it through his life. Jesus is solely responsible for the spread, the breadth, the longevity, and the fruitfulness of the ministry which, by the way, still exists today under the name of Operation Mobilization.
Hudson Taylor simply abode in the vine, communed with his Savior, and surrender himself wholly to his will. In this way, he bore all the fruit the Savior appointed him to bear and, therefore, the glory belongs to God alone. We will not bear Hudson Taylor’s fruit but we too can abide in the Savior and bear the fruit he’s appointed for us. May we, then, look to our brother’s example and draw “for every need upon the fathomless wealth of Christ.”
Soli Deo Gloria (Glory to God Alone),
      Pastor Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment