Friday, December 23, 2011

John Piper Interviews Rick Warren on Doctrine

I finally had a chance to sit down and listen to Pastor John's interview of Rick Warren. I was very moved by it. Rick Warren had a profound effect on my life fifteen years ago--I'll blog about that some other time--but then I became very disaffected of the seeker church movement and therefore did not see or hear or read any of Rick's material for a number of years. I actually had the privilege of meeting him in 1997 and having spent that brief time with him, I knew that he was a genuine man of God even though I strongly disagreed with some of his emphases in teaching and ministry.

John Piper has influenced my life in ministry more than any other. He is a father in ministry to me and I love him very much. I remember having lunch with him at the Old Country Buffet just north of Minneapolis in 2004 or 2005 and telling him a bit about my journey in ministry. Somewhere along the way Rick Warren's name came up and I shared my critique of several aspects of his ministry but then insisted that he's a genuine man of God. From that day forward, I began to long and pray that Pastors John and Rick would meet and get to know one another, and I can't tell you how joyous it makes me to see that that prayer was finally answered. I'm certainly not implying that my prayers had much of anything to do with their meeting, I'm just saying that this has been a longing of my heart for some time and I praise God for the fact that it actually came to pass.

I pray that as their relationship grows, Pastor John will influence Pastor Rick in some particular ways, and through him the hundreds of thousands of pastors who look to him, and I pray that Pastor Rick would influence Pastor John in some particular ways.

This interview is long, about 1.5 hours. But it will be worth your time. Why watch a stupid movie you'll forget later anyway when you could invest that same amount of time in something that will build up your heart and mind in Christ?

I'd love to hear your reactions to the interview, here's the link: John Piper Interviews Rick Warren on Doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment