Saturday, September 03, 2011

A Dream Comes True, or How a Chocolate Bar Opened the Door to Share the Love of Jesus!

It's been a good day but a long one. I started work at 8:00 a.m. and finally finished up at 9:00 p.m., but even though I was tired I had a burning desire to share the love of Jesus with someone before I went to bed. So I walked around the neighborhood near the church office looking for someone to talk to--no luck, it was like a ghost town!

But I did have to go to Walmart on the way home to get some groceries and I figured there would be plenty of people there who needed to hear about Jesus. And sure enough there were, but the question was which one needed to hear it from me. I walked around getting my things, praying for God to open a door so that I'd be sharing out of his heart rather than just my desire and nothing really opened up. I could have forced something but it would have been just that.

And then I got into line. As the young man (he didn't have a name tag and I forgot to ask his name) was putting my groceries into bags, he began to comment on the gourmet chocolate that I bought. I eat just a little dark chocolate every day, usually Lindt, and I just knew that someday it would be used of the Lord! He went on to say that he likes doing special things for his girlfriend, now fiance, on their anniversary but I got a little confused as I listened to him so I asked, "Are you married?"

He answered that they were not, and that they had decided to get married by a justice of the peace. That was a divinely revealed bit of information! I asked him why, and he said that they just weren't sure about the religion piece and had gone back and forth. By now, people are starting to stack up in line behind us, there were three of four people and they were listening intently even if a little impatiently.

So I took out my wallet and handed him one of my cards and said, "Listen, I'm not trying to shove anything down your throat here, but I'm a Pastor so if you change your mind, give me a call and we can talk about it." He said thanks and continued by telling me that he believes in God but doesn't really do anything to pursue God, while his fiance is anti-God. Well, he explained, not really anti, she just thinks that when religion gets organized, it gets corrupt. I told him I understood.

And then I said, "Listen, I'm really not trying to shove anything down your throat, I mean that, but my wife and I are just about to celebrate 20 years of marriage and we're really happy together and still very much in love. And I'm just being honest with you, the reason we're still happy is because of the Lord Jesus and his place in our lives. If it wasn't for him I don't even think we'd be together, so honestly, man, remember the Lord and you guys will make it and be happy, but if you forget the Lord who knows?"

He really received what I was saying and even though the customers behind were getting a little irritated I could tell they were listening pretty well, too. My transaction came to a completion at this moment, so I told him I'd be praying for him and asked him to give me a call sometime. He gave me a sincere smile and said something nice, I don't remember what, and I went on my way.

Oh what a joyous way to end the day! There's just nothing like being on mission with Jesus! Will you join me in praying for my new friend?

Father, thanks so much for using broken people like me to reach broken people like my new friend at Walmart. Please bless his life and cause him to think a lot about what I said, and lead him to call me. Oh Lord, show him how beautiful you are and show him the way to eternal life. Show him that true and lasting happiness is found in Jesus alone and lead him in the way everlasting. Help his fiance to see that although people are corrupt and do crazy and hurtful things in your name, you're not like them. You're so gracious and beautiful and life-giving, Lord, please help her to see you for who you really are. I trust these precious people into your gracious and loving hands, thank you for leading me to him.

In the great and gracious name of Jesus, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment