Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jogged the Maple Grove 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon Today

Last November I started a program called "Couch Potato to 5K in 9 Weeks." I've never liked jogging, actually I've always hated it, but I thought it might be a good way to stay in shape during the winter months when I couldn't ride my bike.

It took me more than 9 weeks to complete the program because I only moved ahead when I was ready, but I did complete it and somewhere along the way I actually started to enjoy jogging. I think the reason was that I allowed my body to adapt to the rigors of it and didn't try to do too much too soon.

So for the last few months I've been jogging 1-3 5Ks per week in the neighborhood and thought it was high time to sign up for an event--so I did! I entered the Maple Grove 5K and completed it in 13:14 or something like that, which is slow but still 1 minute faster than my previous best.

The route started and finished on the track of Maple Grove High School, and as I entered the track for the second time I immediately thought of Paul's words in 2 Timothy 4:7-8, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing."

And I prayed, "Oh Lord, others will run faster and farther than me in this life with you but I want to finish my race. I want to fight the good fight. I want to keep the faith. I want to receive the crown of righteousness you have prepared for me which will be a monument to the glory of your grace. So help me love your appearing more than anything else and live my life with you."

Oh Lord, hear my prayer, and give all who believe the grace to finish this race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment