Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Power of the Word

Over the last couple of days, Dr. Sunukjian has been laying out his process of developing sermons in some detail. Along the way he's been demonstrating his principles by walking us through a number of biblical passages, and today was the day we put it all together and saw the process work from beginning to end--five times!

We had already done the foundational work on three additional passages (Eph 6, Joshua 7, and Psalm 67) so we simply read through those sermon manuscripts and discussed various issues along the way. Then we started from scratch and went through the whole process with Psalm 121, Judges 3, Philippians 1, Luke 18, and 1 Peter 3.

I did learn many things about crafting sermons that are faithful to the Word and meaningful for God's people, but the main thing I came away with today is the impact these texts made upon my life!

Wow, the Word of God is so powerful that even when we try to step back and talk about how we talk about it, it speaks to us! It is "is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" (Heb 4:12). It is not like any old book that can be dissected and analyzed, it simply won't allow us that option. Rather, it cuts, exposes, disciplines, guides, teaches, heals, calls and transforms us into the image of Christ.

I mean it when I say that I learned many things that will make me a better preacher if I put them into practice, but what I learned today in a new and fresh way is that the Word of God alone is worth preaching.

Thank you, Father, for your kind grace upon our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment