Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Loving the Lord our God

In my quiet time today I came across Deuteronomy 30:19-20 and it so moved my heart. Moses wrote, "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them."

Choosing life is simply this: love the Lord by obeying his voice and clinging to him. That's it. The law, as complicated as it can seem, boils down to this simple truth. And why should we love, obey, and cling to God? Because God is our life, he is our length of days, he longs for us to "dwell in the land" he has provided for us and promised to our forefathers. He wants nothing but our good, and yet we're so quick to forsake him.

As I read these verses this morning I could see our Father stretching his hands out toward his people and repeating these ancient words: "Choose life, love me, obey my voice and hold fast to me, for I am on your side and I want your very best."

Oh that we would heed the plea of our Father this day.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:55 PM

    i very adore your writing kind, very unique,
    don't quit and keep posting in all honesty , because it simply that is worth to look through it.
    excited to find out far more of your writing, have a good one ;)

    ReplyDelete