Thursday, June 04, 2009

Rejoicing in the Righteousness of Christ Imputed to Us

Recently I've been preaching on the breastplate of righteousness from Eph 6:14 and thus I've been thinking a lot--a lot--about (1) sin, (2) the forgiveness of sins through the substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ, and (3) the establishing of our righteousness through the imputation of the righteousness of Christ to our accounts (that is, the counting of Christ's righteousness for us as though it were our own).

I have had so many insights into the glories and mysteries of these things, some of which I've had before and some of which were new to me, that I find it impossible to express them all in a note like this. But I just had to write something and give glory to God for the freedom he has granted us believers in Jesus Christ. We are free! We are free! We are free!

Free from his just condemnation of our sins. Free from the power of the devil's accusations against us. Free to reject the "course of this world" (Eph 2:2 & 4:17-19). Free to pursue holiness, to do what is right for the right reasons, to be like the one who has been so merciful to us in Christ.

Oh glory be to God, in Jesus Christ we're free!

If you want to think about and glory in these things with me, spend some time meditating on these texts: Rom 3:21-4:8, 5:12-21, 8:31-39, 10:10, 1 Cor 1:30-31, 2 Cor 5:21, Phil 3:8-9, Heb 10:14, 1 Pet 2:24.

May the Lord be with you and open your eyes to the glories of what he has done in Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment