Thursday, April 02, 2009

Craving for God is a Sign of Health

Lately I've been reading a good old book called The Christian in Complete Armor, Vol. 1 (Banner of Truth, Carlisle, PA: 1986). It was written in 1655 by William Gurnall and it has fast become one of my favorite Puritan works. Oh how I pray that you will join me in reading old books! Newer books, especially popular ones, will not by and large stand the test of time, but these have and so they are worth reading.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from today: "To hunger and thirst after righteousness is a sign of health, for the craving soul is a thriving soul. On the other hand, the soul that does not constantly cry out to God for spiritual food will grow weaker by the day" (253).

May the Lord grant us craving souls!

No comments:

Post a Comment