My publisher, Xulon Press, wants the manuscript by September or October if possible, so I plan to work hard on it over the summer--starting today. I am dedicating 8 or 10 hours to writing today and I'd sure appreciate it if you'd pray for me. The world doesn't need more books for the sake of having more books--but it desperately needs books that are soaked in the wisdom and glory of God. Pray that the Lord will allow this book to be like that.
Here's the outline, in case you're interested. I can't get this blog to format the outline as I want it, so sorry about that and thanks for praying.
Part One: On Topical Preaching
1. What is Topical Preaching?
2. There is a Way that Seems Right to a Man: My Journey with Felt-Needs Topical Preaching
3. Testing the Spirits: Several Problems with Felt-Needs Topical Preaching
4. A Benevolent
Part Two: On Expositional Preaching
5. What is Expositional Preaching?
6. Like a Tree Planted by Streams of Water: On the Beauty and Benefits of Expositional Preaching—Part I
7. Like a Tree Planted by Streams of Water: On the Beauty and Benefits of Expositional Preaching—Part II
8. Blessed is the Man Who Delights in the Law of the Lord: On the Joy of Expositional Preaching
Part Three: Five Essential Elements of Expositional Preaching
9. Why Some Expositional Sermons Flop and Others Fly
10. Sharper than a Two-Edged Sword: Preaching the Actual Words of God
11. Pray without Ceasing: Communion with Christ and Power in Preaching
12. Without Which no one Will See the Lord: Holiness of Life and Fruitfulness in Preaching
13. Feed My Sheep: Learning to Love the Flock of God
14. God Will not be Mocked: Hard Work and the Joy of the Harvest
Part Four: On Developing Expositional Sermons
15. Preparing the Way of the Lord: Finding the Balance Between Discipline and Spontaneity
16. Rightly Dividing the Word of God: Discerning What the Text Says and What it Means
17. Shepherding the Flock of God: Discerning How the Text Relates to the Issues, Challenges, and Circumstances of God’s People
18. What Shall I Say? Discerning How Best to Communicate God’s Word to God’s People
19. We Always Pray for You: Finishing Well by Praying for the Flock of God—Again
Epilogue: Let the Little Children Come to Me: Why I Love Preaching to Children
Appendix: On the Term Pastor-Teacher in Ephesians 4:11