Friday, May 16, 2008

Delight in God--the Aim of Study

I'm on Minnesota time. The only problem is that I'm in California! So about 4:00 this morning I turned to Psalm 111 and asked Jesus to help me delight my soul in him and his word. Here are the first few verses of what I read:

"Praise the LORD! I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation. Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them. Full of splendor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever."

And as you can tell from my title, the sentence that struck my heart was "Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them." One of the ways true delight in the works of God is expressed is by studying them--by reading, pondering, discussing, discerning principles, applying those principles to life, and so on. And those who ponder the works of God essentially delight in God himself. It would make little sense for me to say that I love to ponder the accomplishments of Einstein but I abhor Einstein. But it makes absolutely no sense to say that I delight in the works of God but I do not love God himself.

No! Through one's works he himself is revealed, and thus to take delight in the works of God by studying them displays the fact that I take delight in God as he has revealed himself. And so I conclude: the primary aim of study is to delight our souls in God, and one of the primary ways we express true delight in God is by studying his works.

Oh, how sweet this was for me this morning! I pray that it will be sweet for you as well. Just for fun, here's the rest of Psalm 111:

"He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and merciful. He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever. He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the inheritance of the nations. The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy; they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness. He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name! The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment