Wednesday, April 16, 2008

T4G Day Two--Continued

What a privilege it was to sit at the feet of R. C. Sproul. I say this not to his glory but to God's who saved him by grace and made him what he is by grace. God gives teachers to equip the saints for the work of ministry, and thus I can say without reservation that R. C. Sproul is a gift from God to the church--for the glory of His own name, not R. C.'s.

With that important caveat, I must be honest and say that I'm struggling to find words to express how I feel about the message I just heard. It was simply stunning, gripping, weighty, full of glory, true, powerful, God-honoring, soul-shaking, pride-shattering. It was, as Peter said our preaching ought to be (1 Pet. 4:10-11), as an oracle of God. It was so obvious that the Lord himself was there.

R. C. spoke about an aspect of the doctrine of the atonement that is so often neglected, forgotten, and even despised--the fact that the curse of God was on Jesus. His main text was Galatians 3:10-14, however, he drew from all over the Bible to establish the principle of God cursing as well as blessing, and then to show that God in fact cursed Jesus in our place. Please, I beg of you, if you can find it listen to this message. It will probably make you feel as though you've never heard the gospel before.

I'm struggling now to know how to close out this entry, because I'm simply speechless before the Lord. I'm in awe of his massive power, his unassailable holiness, his righteous justice--and also his matchless mercy in Christ. This message did what all sermons should do--it has caused me to worship God. I hope you're able to listen to the message and join me in worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment