Wednesday, March 26, 2008

John Owen on the Glory of Christ's Humility

Some of you know that I've been reading a modernized version of John Owen's Glory of Christ, and I must say that it's doing its job, that is, helping me to see the glory of Christ. The chapter I read today is about the glory of Christ's humility and the argument basically goes like this:

1. Christ is infinite and the implications of this fact are literally unimaginable.

2. Human beings are finite and so far below Christ that the distance between us is also unimaginable.

3. Thus, the humility of Christ in taking on flesh and reconciling us to God in one body through the cross is infinite and unimaginable.

And yet. Pastor John, as I like to call him, strongly encourages us to spend much time contemplating these things, praying that God will grant us a "spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him" (Eph. 1:17).

I strongly recommend that you search for this book on Amazon.Com, or whatever your favorite book seller is, and devour it. I plan to read it twice.

Thank you, Jesus, for Pastor John.

No comments:

Post a Comment