Saturday, November 10, 2007

Using the Lord's Name in Vain

Twice in the last two weeks I have received a long e-mail letter from a person who claims to be a Christian, and attempts to bolster his/her case by using Christian language including, in several ways, the name of the Lord. The point of the letter is that the person has money stuck in an African bank account somewhere and he/she wants to transfer that money into my account so that he/she can access it, and of course--in the name of the Lord--I'll receive my fair share for my services.

This is a well known scam. What they're really trying to do is get me to give them my bank account number so that they can bleed me dry, and they're using the name of Almighty God to do it. Oh how I pray that they will repent before they have to face God and answer for what they have done. It is no small thing to use the name of the Lord in vain, and fierce wrath awaits those who do so and do not repent.

Both times I've received the letter I've prayed for these people, but this morning a question occurred to me that really pierced my heart: Is there any way that I am using the name of the Lord in vain, even if subtly, even if unconsciously? If so, oh Lord, please show me the error of my ways and grant me a humble heart that I might repent!

Exodus 20:7--"You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."

No comments:

Post a Comment