Sunday, September 23, 2007

Suffering for the Gospel

Every week I write a short devotional for our church bulletin under the heading of “For the Glory of Christ.” I like that title because I write it primarily for Christ’s glory but also for the church which, if you don’t know, is called Glory of Christ.

This week I wrote about the fact that in order to take the gospel to the world we will have to suffer. I took as my text Ephesians 3:13 which says, “So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory.” Then this afternoon I was reading through some notes of mine and I came across this quote from a Chinese house church leader named Brother Yun:

“Every house church pastor in China is ready to lay down his life for the gospel. When we live this way, we’ll see God do great things by his grace…The world can do nothing to a Christian who has no fear of man” (300, 313).

Amen.
At one time the American church was a sort of “parent” to the Chinese church. Now, it seems, the situation is quite the opposite. May we follow our faithful brothers and sisters all the way to death, if we must, that we might receive the crown of life (Revelation 2:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment