Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Conference Fatigue

It's Wednesay morning, the third day of a three day conference. I have so appreciated being in the presence of those who are here, and I've learned many good things. But I have to be honest: I have conference fatigue. At some point, a person has to limit the flow of input and maximize the flow of output. It's not good to be a reservoir. It's much better to be a river. The emotional and spiritual health of a person is, in some sense, measured by their capacity to be a river.

Jesus was a river. I was really taken this morning by a line from John 5:30 where Jesus himself said, "I can do nothing on my own." This means that, even for Jesus, his resources originated upstream. He was completely dependent on God the Father. But the thing about Jesus is that when he did receive those resources from upstream, he didn't keep them to himself. He gave, and gave, and gave, and gave--to the extent that the resources received allowed it.

Burnout is not good, so I never weary of receiving from the Lord himself. I've often said about my days off and vacations that I need a break from the labor of ministry but I never need a break from Jesus. I love him. I love spending time with him. He is my life. All of my resources derive from him. When I tire of him I sign the deal that guarantees my burnout.

But I'm done with conferences for now. It's time for me to give to the extent that the resources invested in me allow. Thanks for praying for us. Please pray for us as we fly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment