Monday, June 04, 2007

What to do with Insomnia

For whatever reason, I have been waking up in the middle of the night for the last couple weeks and sometimes have not been able to get back to sleep. Last night was one of those nights--up at 3:00 a.m. and still up now at 7:15. I try very hard to avoid caffeine, so I'm sure that's not the problem. Haven't had much sugar lately. I have things on my mind, some of which are weighty but also joy-producing, so I don't think stress is the problem. I've been seeking the Lord in the Word and prayer and feel joyful and at peace with him and others. And yet I cannot sleep--at least not through the night.

So, what am I to do? Ephesians 5:18 & 20 immediately come to mind: "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit...giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ..." Knowing that God is good and that I have been stewarding my body as best as I can, I have simply been giving thanks to God and trusting that, for whatever reason, he thinks this is good for me. I must say that those middle of the night prayer sessions have been sweet, and I have sensed God's presence with me.

What is your instinct when you face the various circumstances and trials of life? Do you naturally throw yourself on God with thanksgiving, trusting that he is for you and that he has your best in mind? If not, spend some time looking at Ephesians 5 and ask the Lord to teach you what it means to give him thanks, through Christ, for all things. I can testify that learning to do so turns many bitter pills into sweet blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment