Friday, April 13, 2007

Please Pray for Me: I'm in Some Very Deep Waters!

Please accept my apologies for not posting anything over the last couple of days--I have been in some very deep waters. I feel like I'm on a ship in the middle of a vast and deep ocean, longing to see into the depths, but only being able to see down a few feet. Please pray with me that the Lord will open my eyes and allow me to see into the depths. When he answers our prayers, I'll be sure to share with you what I see.

Let me see if I can explain how I found myself in the midst of this ocean. It all began when I read the book of Deuteronomy a couple of weeks ago. I noticed, as I've noticed before, that it gives several helpful descriptions of what it means to love God with all that's in us, and I decided that this was the time to look into these things. Well, it did not take more than a few minutes to see the truth that we only love God because he first loved us, and mainly I saw this in chapter seven.

Then, as I prepared to look more deeply into chapter seven, it occurred to me that God only loves because he is love. In other words, the manifest love of God does not just materialize, it emanates from somewhere, and the question is, Where is that somewhere? Answer: the innermost parts of God, for God is love. So, I realized that before we can really grasp the import of the manifest love of God we must at least attempt to grasp what it means to say that God is love. And 1 John 4 is the only place in the Bible where this seminal statement is made, at least explicitly so.

Thus, the ocean in which I find myself is called 1 John 4:7-5:5. Please pray for me as I spend time over the next several days gazing as deeply as I can into it, and as I said, I'll be sure to share what I see. I may post some thoughts on other matters for the next few days, but know that I'm working on this and I'll be coming back to it.

Thanks so much for your partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment