Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Day Twenty-Nine: Jesus, Our Example

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love” (John 15:9-10).

One of the things I love most about Jesus is that he only calls us to do what he himself was willing to do. He calls us to serve one another in the way that he first served us; he calls us to love one another in the way that he first loved us; he calls us to suffer unjustly in the way that he first suffered unjustly; he calls us to passionately and willingly obey his commandments in the way that he first passionately and willingly obeyed his Father’s commandments (John 13:15, 13:34, 15:10, 15:12, 1 Peter 2:20-25).

And not only does he set us an example but he promises to give us the power we need to do what he has called us to do: “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it” (John 14:12-14). So, if we attempt to do what Jesus has called to do on our own strength, we will fail miserably, but if we attempt to do what he has called us to do by leaning hard on him in prayer, he will hear from heaven and give us the power to do it!

And this is not all: not only does Jesus set us an example and promise, through prayer, to give us the power we need to follow his example but even when we fail—and we will fail—he himself has become righteousness and sanctification for all who believe in him: “He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption” (1 Corinthians 1:30). The Son is all for all who cling to the Son!

Prayer Focus: Pray with thanksgiving for the example Jesus set us, the power he gives us, and the righteousness he is for us! Pray that he will cause us to grow all the more into his image as we adore him and lean hard on him in prayer and abide in him by grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment