Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Lesson Learned--Again

It’s just about midnight, and we’re pulling into town. Our dog, Bella, is sleep-barking in the back seat, and our daughter, Rachel, is breathing through her nose so hard that I’m afraid she’ll suck in a stray gnat. Kim is staying awake for my sake, but I wish she wouldn’t, because she’s got to get up early in the morning and teach Spanish to a drove of middle-schoolers, just the thought of which makes me weary. I’m tired but glad to be home, feeling better about the fact that it took nine-and-one-half hours to complete a seven hour drive.

Eight hours earlier we realized that we had driven 50 or more miles passed our turn-off, and rather than driving back to it we decided (read, “I decided”) to angle our way there on back roads. But here’s the catch: we didn’t have a map with us, and I didn’t want to stop to buy or look at one. I thought I knew the general direction of the freeway we were looking for and the roads we were on, and that I could navigate from one to the other. How male is that?

“Why don’t we just stop and look at a map?” “Babe, all we have to do is keep heading north and west and north and west, and eventually we’ll hit the freeway.” Wonderful thought, horrible plan. We drove north and west and north and west for six hours! In this way, we traversed the entire state of Wisconsin, and we were still more than two hours from home.

The moral of the story? It’s not a bad idea to look at the map even when you think you know the way.

“Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray.” (Proverbs 10:17)

“Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.” (Proverbs 19:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment